By Robert D. Thomas
Pasadena Star-News/San Gabriel Valley Tribune/Whittier Daily News
I wasn’t the only critic who loved Daniel Catán’s new opera, Il Postino, which opened last night for Los Angeles Opera at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. (LINK) Laudatory critical reviews have been flowing in, including:
• Mark Swed in the Los Angeles Times HERE
• Joshua Kosman in the San Francisco Chronicle HERE
• Ronald Blum in the Associated Press HERE
• Anne Midgette in the Washington Post HERE
• David Maurer in Culture Spot LA HERE
• Rob Lowman in the Los Angeles Daily News HERE
• Richard Ginell in Variety HERE
• Alan Ulrich in London's Financial Times HERE
• Tim Mangan in Orange County Register HERE
• Donna Perlmutter in Huffington Post HERE
I also wasn’t the only critic who took notice of the sensual opening to the opera. Christopher Smith in the Los Angeles Times offers his take HERE.
(c) Copyright 2010, Robert D. Thomas. All rights reserved. Portions may be quoted with attribution.